6 Cups SHAW METHLEY PLUMS
1/2 cup of water
8 cups sugar
1 box of fruit pectin
- Pit and chop plums. Add water; simmer 5 minutes.
- Measure prepared fruit in 6 or 8 quart saucepot.
- Measure sugar, set aside.
- Stir pectin into prepared fruit.
- Bring to a full boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add sugar; return to a full, rolling boil.
Boil hard one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Skim foam if necesary. Carefully ladel into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Adjust caps.
- Process all jam 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.
- Remove jars from canner. Let jam cool 12 to 14 hours. Check lids for seal by pressing down on the center of the lid. If the lid springs up, it has not sealed and should be refrigerated or reprocessed immediately for the full length of time, with a new lid.
- Remove bands, and clean exterior of jars and lids. Store jam in a cool, dry, dark area for up to one year.